Friday, January 10, 2014

The Divergent Series- A book review



Things are about to get nerdy up in here.  I read a lot....like probably an embarrassing amount of books.  My child cries to go to the library and then cries when we have to leave.  Zach is my little nerd in training.

I read a lot, but I'm horrible at remembering things like authors, titles, or really good books off the top of my head when people ask for recommendations.  I am also curious about how many books I actually read in a year, so I figured I would track it on here.  I'll label them book reviews, feel free to pass by these nerdy tid bits and just read our toddler horror stories and how much I love wine.

The first books I read this year are Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth.




It is a trilogy much like the Hunger Games trilogy.  It is set in the future about a society divided into 5 sections based on different virtues that forms after our current society implodes.  I love these kind of books.  I like when a society that is supposed to be better than the previous one runs into the same sort of issues, like the Hunger Games, Maze Runner or the movie V for Vendetta.


It follows a girl struggling to figure out her future and her place in this society.  I didn't realize you can find these books in the teen section, but it makes sense after reading them.  They are less blood and gore than hunger games, but with struggles about right and wrong and figuring out who you are that would relate well with teens.  It also simplifies concepts.  I would have liked the books to dig a little deeper, but I'm also 29 years old reading books out of the teen section so beggars can't be choosers.



I haven't been a teen in a long time, but I do like these books.  I liked the first one the best, and Insurgent was a close second, but the 3rd was my least favorite.  I feel like Allegiant was a little flat after the first 2 books were so good.  I would recommend them if you liked the Hunger Games.

*And a little bonus for anyone who actually read all that.....I read Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain just before the new year and it was excellent.  I highly recommend it.  It is about a poor family in the south in the 1960's and their case worker.

Books count in 2014: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment